London Markets Open in:
Commentary: The social network's inclusion in the S&P 500 and S&P 100 marks a coming-of-age for the company, which now becomes a core investment for many funds, writes Therese Poletti.
Introducing the new MarketWatch cord-cutting calculator. See if you're ready to online-only.
• Why cable TV bills are only going up
• I tried to cut the cable cord — and failed
• Netflix won’t dominate at $7.99 per month
IPO REPORTHilton’s IPO could benefit hotel guests
Lobbies and loyalty programs both may get revamped as the company lists.
• Hilton Worldwide IPO priced at $20 a share
• Moncler prices IPO at top of indicative range
Is this premium Starbucks gift card a waste of $50?
This rose-colored Starbucks gift card that sold for $450 came loaded with $400 to spend at Starbucks as well as the company's "gold" status.
• How much to tip everyone over the holiday
• Why your rent is so darn high
• A 40-year mortgage may be in the works
• Stocks slide as budget deal spurs taper worries
• J.P. Morgan to be charged over Madoff: report
• Gold dips but finds support as stocks drop
• Fischer close to becoming No.2 at Fed: reports
• Forecaster of Month: Economy better than data
• Fidelity allowing clients to put bitcoins in IRAs
• SocGen's Albert Edwards vs. the bulls
• Soaring home-price growth may slow in 2014
• George Bush consoles Alabama place-kicker
Asia stocks lower with Fed in focus
Asian markets move lower on the U.S. policy outlook, though Hong Kong’s largest listing in 2013 starts with a pop.
• No longer toxic, Chinese IPOs pop: WSJ
• Bank of Korea holds policy rate steady
5 Buffett stocks not for dummies
While the small-cap space may offer better returns, large caps aren't to be avoided, writes, Meena Krishnamsetty.
• Hulbert: Do bull markets ever die in December?
Boehner calls budget deal critics 'ridiculous'
Conservative groups criticizing the deal are "ridiculous," says House speaker.
• Budget deal trims federal pension benefits
Surprises lurk behind the data as health-care reform implementation ends Month 2.
• California Obamacare draws 80% of doctors
• Health care due for big changes in 2014
10 states with priciest colleges
State investment plays a big part in the cost of college. Here are the 10 states where college is most expensive.
• 10 states where college is most affordable
10 reasons to buy Apple now
Commentary: Apple expectations have changed, says Jeff Reeves.
• H-P's Whitman: Desktops are not dead .
Japan's Topix closes with 0.7% loss at 1,242.23
Japan's Nikkei Average ends down 1.1% 15,341.82
Cinda Asset Management up 23% on Hong Kong debut
Shanghai Composite down 0.2% at 2,199.73 early
Hong Kong H-share index down 0.5% at 11,014.38
Hong Kong Hang Seng Index down 0.3% at 23,260.63
- Loading more headlines...
Money moves to make if you’re forced to retire
These workers planned to retire at 65, reports Andrea Coombes. But they were forced to retire at average age of 58.
• You may not need as much to retire
House bill could ban in-flight phone calls
A Republican's proposal could bar calls before the FCC has a chance to say OK.
• Five unexpected winter vacation spots
Your rent really is
too damn high
Renting is getting expensive, with more Americans paying half their salaries to landlords.
• Getting big mortgage gets tougher
There are numerous ways to add a little spice to your portfolio. Taking advantage of timing is one.
• Making a big play for 2014 right now
• Tune up your portfolio for 2014
• Safe and steady ETFs for the new year
• 2014 stock picks from Barclays
• Deutsche Bank sees stocks up just 3% in 2014
• Trading Strategies: December »
Tesla’s Elon Musk
It’s not the 300% stock surge. Or the vanquishing of the short sellers. Or even the fanatical fan base. Rather, it’s the relentless drive with which Musk pursues his vision — and his willingness to take on not just challenges but laws of nature — that makes him MarketWatch’s CEO of the Year.
• MarketWatch CEO of the Year: Elon Musk
Year-end tax strategies
If you're retired, or soon will be, here are year-end tips to shrink your tax bill, including donations, deductions and Roth IRAs.
CEO Robert Hohman talks about who takes top honors and why.
Getting Started: A guide to investing»• How to buy stocks • How to buy bonds • How to buy mutual funds
• How to buy ETFs • How to buy options • How to buy hedge funds
• How to buy futures • How to buy commodities • How to buy annuities
• How to buy currencies • How to buy real estate
• How to buy private-company stock • How to find a financial planner